Saturday, February 27, 2010

New verse to Peace Pilgrim

So I'm at the weekly peace vigil at the corner of Routes 9 and 9D, and Pete is there, and it's about 1:40. Generally our practice has been that we vigil from noon to 2 p.m., then sing a couple of songs, then break down all the signs and banners and flags and so forth and leave. But it was 1:40 and Pete said, "Pat, go get your guitar!" So I did, and the first song we sang, at my request, was "My Rainbow Race." Then I think we did a couple of others, and then I did "Peace Pilgrim," which Pete always asks for. When we finished it, Pete said, "You know, you could write another verse to that song. Something like...though Peace Pilgrim ate her last meal thirty four years ago, her spirit is standing with us on this corner...something like that."

Well, I was going to play that song that very evening, February 20, at the Hudson Valley Folk Guild, so I thought I'd better make up another verse pretty quick. By the time I got home, I had it. I tweaked it a tiny bit since then, but here's the new version:

As we stand here on this corner, in sun and rain and snow,
We remember Peace Pilgrim and her words of long ago.
Though her spirit flew to freedom in 1981,
She's standing here beside us as our prayers for peace are sung.

Pete hasn't heard it yet. I'm looking forward to singing it for him, hopefully sometime soon. He told us he won't be at the peace vigil this Saturday (I guess today, that is), but maybe next week. Or maybe at the Beacon Sloop Club this Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment